Sunday, September 20, 2009

Korea has revolutionized my idea of hot lunches. I remember school lunches from elementary school through high school back in NH...spaghetti, shepherds pie, cheeseburger, chicken nuggets, tacos, french toast. These were usually accompanied by milk (though juice and soda was readily available) and there was always some sort of dessert, like fruit out of a can, a chocolate chip cookie, a churro, or fruit crisp.



Here in Korea, things couldn't be more different. First, at lunch time, we go as a class to wash our hands. The students eat in their classroom and myself and my coteacher serve them their food. As for the content, I usually have no idea what I'm eating, but I can identify three constants: rice, kimchi, and soup (though the content of the soup varies.)

To drink is either water or green tea, and there is never anything sugary. The meals tend to be spicy and the soups are often salty (probably miso-based). I took pictures of some of my lunches this week for you to see.









And the best part? I get to eat at school for free! I love Korean hot lunches!

2 Comments:

  1. Sasha said...
    You have to eat with the kids? Sucker! I get to eat alone like a loser inste...aw.

    Also, haha, I recognize all that food!
    cross1celt said...
    uhh ok... the rice I recognize. The round balls on the top photo- fish balls? Most of the soup looks like miso, with spinach and bok choi in it. The second one looks like it has stir-fried sliced zucchini and minced green onion... above that, flaked fish, and the bottom meal looks like steamed spinach at 11 o'clock, tofu soup at 7 o'clock, pearl onions and umm- something at 5 o'clock, and, er- kim chi (???) at 2 o'clock! Hmm- a gastronomic adventure for sure! ;^)

    It's nice to have someone else cook good stuff for you!

Post a Comment