Wednesday, December 16, 2009

It's that time of year again, and yes, it comes to Korea too. I have been singing Christmas songs with my kindergarteners and engaging them in detailed discussions about Santa Claus with my elementary-age students. Familiar pop Christmas songs are being pumped out of store speakers at full volume, and plastic Christmas trees are popping up like dandelions everywhere you look.



(Subway station: Case in point)

I was also surprised to hear that familiar clanging of bells, and voices (even in a foreign language) clearly calling out for money. Yes, of course there is the Salvation Army here, and at every other corner too.

Last week we had a short, beautiful snow flurry in the morning. My kindergartners were beside themselves. I pulled up the blinds and allocated them a full five minutes to squeeze together at the window and stare at the snow with their faces smushed against the window. It was pretty cute. Unfortunately for them, by the time the bell rang to go home, the flurry had passed and left no evidence in its wake.


How am I celebrating the holidays?

Step 1: Watching one of the 80-odd Christmas movies I downloaded every night before bed
Step 2: Listening to Christmas music I brought from home (and have listened to every Christmas since I was a little kid
Step 3: Making plans for the holidays with friends, which include yummy dinners, pyjama day watching movies with Sasha, and an all-out karaoke night

1 Comment:

  1. cross1celt said...
    an addendum to this being... be on the watch for a package- addressed to the location- your school- which you gave me a while back.

Post a Comment