Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Doh! Losing bags in Taxis


So I made one brilliant move last week, which was leaving my purse in a taxi. This happened after a big shopping adventure at our local Costco (it was pay day, so we splurged). My coworker and I were rushing to get everything out of the car so the taxi driver could leave, and it was dark and I guess I couldn't see my black bag in the shadows where I left it. Gone.

In the end I didn't lose too many important things, my cellphone and wallet were luckily both in my jacket, so I didn't need to call a million financial institutions. This being Seoul, home to a zillion different taxi companies, if you don't know which one you got in to, its nearly impossible to track down. Word to the wise, always take a mental note of the taxi company you get into, and always ask for a receipt, even when you pay in cash. Cab receipts have not only the name of the company, but also the cab driver's phone number so if you lose something, you can contact him directly.



If you do lose something in a taxi or public transit, here are things you can do:

  • Start with the Travelers Help Line: Dial 1330
  • Have a Korean help you report it to the police, 
  • Report the item to your embassy by phone or email
  • Visit the Seoul Private Taxi Association, and the Seoul Private Taxi Cab Association (both sites are in Korean)
  • Have a Korean help you call the Seoul Taxi Transportation Association (02) 420-6110 and the Seoul Private Assocation (02) 4159-5215
  • Call the Dasan Call Center (Korean only) for more help regarding taxis and access to taxi dispatch 1688-0120
  • Call the Lost and Found at TBS (Transportation Broadcasting System) 2299-1282
  • If you have it, call your travel insurance company
  • Lost it somewhere else? Check out this blog

This being Korea, there is always more hope your item will turn up: a friend of mine lost her wallet during a night out on the town, and it was turned in three weeks later to her national embassy, with everything in it! I have heard similar stories from other foreigners. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but in the meantime, I went shopping and bought a new bag.

2 Comments:

  1. cross1celt said...
    oh boy! I am sorry to hear-

    I know how much you have enjoyed that camera. I will be praying to St Anthony (Tony as Grammie and I call him) that he will come to your rescue!
    Cheap Bags said...
    I am sorry to hear that. It's a bad news. I will be praying to good luck to you.

Post a Comment